When I think of soursop, a rolled-up, fruity hedgehog comes to mind. But I have been told I have an overly imaginative mind. So, yeah, it’s just me. Soursop typically is a green fruit with a prickly exterior and a soft, sweet edible interior with a semi-crunchy consistency and it tastes like a delicious blend of pineapple, banana, and papaya. Soursop's green, prickly exterior makes it look unappealing and not so tasty but a bite will convince you otherwise. For a fruit so prickly, Soursop has several nicknames such as Guanabana, Custard apple, Graviola, and Brazillian paw.
Soursop trees are mostly found in South America, the Caribbean, Southeast Asia, and parts of Africa. Soursop is delicacies in these regions and its popularity is quickly growing. People use fruit to make juice, smoothies, ice cream, and other sweet treats. This is mostly because of its unique taste and health benefits.
Many people also use the leaves of the soursop fruit tree to make soursop tea. Soursop is also called Graviola, so the drink is referred to as Graviola tea.¹ Soursop or Graviola tea unlike black tea or green tea isn't made from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant but from the leaves of the soursop plant, which does not in any way contain caffeine. This makes it caffeine-free and great for everyday consumption. Soursop or Graviola leaf tea has numerous health benefits that are beneficial for wellness and vitality.
Our ancestors had these secrets down and maintained a mostly organic, herbal approach to living. They embraced roots, herbs, and superfoods from a nutritional and wellness aspect using them to promote good health. Ancient cultures in South America promoted the use of soursop fruit and soursop leaves for their many health benefits combining them with other herbal blends and diets to boost health.
In this article, a few benefits of soursop tea leaves as an aid for relaxing and promoting a calm mind is explored. Soursop tea benefits are one of the reasons this tropical plant is quickly catching on in Western society as more and more people come to terms with the plant’s many potential benefits for the body.
Benefits of Drinking Soursop/Graviola Leaf Tea
- Boosts Immunity: Some health benefits of Soursop are its high nutritional content, it has a rich blend of vitamins and antioxidants. One of such vitamins is Vitamin C which stimulates the production of white blood cells as well as reduces the concentration of free radicals present in the body as a result of exposure to pollutants. Including some fresh soursop fruit in your diet can positively improve your health. It could be in the form of a wholesome beverage or dessert. However, finding a non-GMO seasonal fruit such as Soursop readily available for daily use might be difficult. Supplementing your diet with Herbal Goodness' Graviola Leaf Extract Liquid would help in balancing out the nutritional deficit.
- Muscle and bone: One of the things that made soursop a favorite among the native tribes of South America is its great support for muscle and bone. Drinking Soursop leaf tea gives great support to bone and muscle strength as well as reducing the incidence of pain and soreness from exercise and strenuous activities. This makes soursop leaf tea good for use as a body relaxant after a physically taxing day or after an intense workout routine.
- Calming: Serotonin is a key hormone for bodily functions as well as stabilizing moods, feelings of happiness, and wellness. It also helps with sleeping, appetite, and digestion. Drinking soursop leaf tea promotes the release of serotonin which helps in calming the body. Several articles credit Soursop leaves tea as a mind clearer and easy sleep aid. In the West Indies, soursop leaves are commonly used as a calming agent. In the Netherlands Antilles, the leaves are brewed to make a beverage that enhances sleep. The leaves can also be put into one's pillowcase to enhance sleep.² For this reason, a soursop leaf tea can be a great natural supplement to relieve the body of stress and sleep deprivation.
- Promotes gut health: Gut health is an essential factor in maintaining good health. Soursop leaf tea is high in fiber which helps to promote gut health. This helps to promote regular healthy gut movement and balance as well as support digestion and absorption of food by the body.
Wondering on ways to take Graviola leaf tea or include it in your diet? Check our Graviola Green Tea Smoothie recipe.
- verywellfit.com. Soursop Tea Benefits and Side-effects. Accessed on February 22, 2020.
- huffpost.com. Is Soursop the Caribbean Secret for Perfect Sleep? Accessed on December 6, 2017.